Kids

Kids

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First time alone!

Nola is now 3 months, 1 week and 3 days old, and tonight is my first time alone. I truly is amazing how much being a mother changes your life. Doug and I have been so fortunate to have family close by who are willing to take Nola for an hour or two, here and there, so we can have a date night, but tonight is the first time without Doug or Nola...and to be completely honest, it has been wonderful! I had a long, luxurious bubble bath, played my guitar and vegged on the couch - things that I defiantly took for granted before having a baby.
I was actually talking to a friend of mine who is expecting, and she asked if having a baby really is such a drastic and life changing experience. As I sat and pondered this question, I think the answer is both yes and no. I know for myself, my life didn't drastically change once Nola came into the world. Doug, Nola and I slowly learned the swing of things and transitioned quite beautifully into our now day-to-day routine, but it is in the day-to-day that you realize the changes. The dishes that don't get done, the calls that don't get made, the meager meals you eat straight from the fridge with a baby on your hip. The lack of 'you' time, to work on your talents, to enjoy a movie without interruption, to have a good nights sleep.
I have heard over and over again the 'sacrifices' of being a mother, and I truly believe it is in the small and simple things. I am sure it is quite easy for women to 'lose' themselves in the day-to-day of being a mom.
I am so very grateful for a loving family and a wonderful husband who grants me the time I need for me. We are a team.
Well, that's how I'm feeling right now. Thanks for listening.
Jess :)

1 comment:

  1. Your so right... There are a lot of sacrifices from motherhood... but if you look close and realize it, those sacrifices bring such joy! And it can be easy to not think of the things you give up as sacrifices if you think of it that way and truly love the new position you find yourself in. You guys are such a great team, I'm glad you had some time to yourself. Lucky gal!
    Loves!
    Nicole and Eva.

    ReplyDelete