Kids

Kids

Monday, June 15, 2015

Medicine Hat time!

This past weekend we went up to the Hat. Yay!!! We just love us some Megan and Matty time.  We headed out around 5pm to make it by 7pm to get some pictures done in Kin Coulee Park. Meg got some amazing shots and I can't wait to see them when she is finished editing. Meg is the 'Me' in the 'MeKa Studios' of Medicine Hat and her and Kari are very good at what they do. Not only are the pics great, but it was actually a lot of fun! Pictures are daunting to me and Doug, but it was really great. After, we headed back to their house for some Chinese food and to get ready for bed. Before bed, Matty sat at the table with Rob and made him his very own 'Sword of Truth'. Matt said he got one when he was a kid and he still has it, so he wanted to do it for the kids in his Primary class.  He had an extra so he made it with Rob. I am not going to lie, I had to extend a lot of effort NOT to tear up when I watched them. It was so darling! Matty helped Rob pick put jewels and glue them on. Once the jewels were on, they would both blow on them to help them dry. Rob was in heaven! What a gift it is to witness family bonding.

Once all the littles were in bed, we settled down to watch The Avengers. Ames fell asleep in 30 seconds and Orin was not too far behind her. Jax was at the movies with friends, so we turned off the show and us adults headed out to the hot tub. It was so perfect - relaxing and visiting. So good, in fact, that we stayed up until 2am!! Nola and Rob slept great, but John had a little pow wow from 2-3:30am. 

The next mornin we headed off to church. What a very special experience!   Orin was able to pass the sacrament and while he was doing it Nola turned to me and whispered 'Orin is being like Jesus!' It was such a special moment - she was absolutely right!! We were able to stay for the whole three hours! John did great in nursery, Nola went to Ami's primary classes and Rob sat on Meg's lap for all of Sunday School and Relief Society. After church, Doug and Jax had some time to visit just the two of them downstairs, Ames played with the kids in the yard while Matty BBQd and Meg, Orin and I cooked in the kitchen. So many memories made! I love spending time with Orin - we are kindred spirits. After dinner, Ames and Orin switched duties and Ames came into the kitchen with me and we plated the strawberry shortcake. So many laughs with that girl!! We get so weird together and I love it!! We pretended we were on 'Chopped' and then some how that turned into us singing 'do you want to build a snowman?' Haha. So perfect. The kids were starting to get squirrelly, so we headed home.

Most perfect weekend ever. Ever. I know I have said it before, but we have such a special bond with the Mays. The Spirit is SO strong at their house...you can't help but feel welcomed and loved. The kids are such a light. I am so madly and deeply in love with each of them...all of my nieces and nephews, in fact. We always have the best conversations with Meg and Matt. We share the same core beliefs and have the same goals, however we have different ideas and points of view. Our conversations are always deep and get you thinking. We respect one another and can talk about the tough stuff, which we don't get to do with many people. With them, we are on the same path. Jaxon, Orin and Ami are the only cousins my kids have as examples in the church. Of course, this doesn't make them any better or worse than the other cousins, it's just different...and special. My kids can watch them go on missions, marry in the temple, and follow the path we hope so dearly that they will find peace and joy on. Meg and Matt encourage our kids to pray and talk to them about the scriptures and the prophet.  Again, a gift.

I am a convert to our church.  I have discovered the truth of God by myself and it has been beautiful, but if I were to be completely honest, it is also heart wrenching. The truths that I have been taught, the things that bring me so much peace, joy, clarity, strength, conviction, and determination are not shared with my family....my family. I don't get to ask my dad about what I am learning in the gospel, I don't get to see my brother exercise the priesthood, I don't get to hold my moms hand while in the temple. And truthfully, it's hard. I do respect my families beliefs as they respect mine and it is beautiful. The mutual love, respect, patience and tolerance we have with one another is awe inspiring, but of course there is a part of me that wishes we all were on the same page. That's what's so special about Megan and Matt. We are on the same page and it really makes all the difference. 

 





1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful special week. It's great that your kids have such good examples to look up to.

    ReplyDelete