Kids

Kids

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Things have been interesting!

Wow, this pregnancy has just kind of thrown me for a loop. I have been sick with all my pregnancies, but nothing quite like this. I came home last Saturday feeling OK. Actually...I should have stayed longer, BUT they asked if I wanted to go home or stay, and of course I wanted to get out of there, so I left. By Monday, I was feeling awful again. Monday night was really rough and I woke up feeling even worse Tuesday morning. My friend Diana drove me to my Dr's appt and my Dr could tell something was wrong. He called my OB, Dr Malach, and then informed me that I had to go back to the hospital to be rehydrated and to get some much needed rest. In all honesty, I was crushed. I am a mother of a 3 year old and 19 month old - I can't go back in the hospital! Where are my kids going to go? Doug can't take anymore time off of work...what was I going to do?!?! I am so blessed that Diana was there to support me. She was very sick with her third pregnancy, and she had to pawn her kids off so she could be in the hospital in Calgary. She pointed out to me that A) The kids have no idea whats going on and they will forget that Mommy was sick B) The kids think that this is a big adventure! They are excited to go play at new houses and see friends all day C) That people want to help me. I know I would help someone else in this situation in a heartbeat! I need to let people serve me D) This is only temporary. Pregnancy ends!!

My Mom brought me back to the hospital and I got set up in a room in the Maternity ward again. I really enjoyed listening to all the new born cries :) It got me excited to have another little bundle of my own. They hooked me back up to the IV for some fluids and meds. Again, they packed me full of drugs...I'm still feeling it. The Dr's and nurses were SUPER helpful. I don't want to keep having to go back to the hospital, so they gave me great advice on how to stay on top of my hyperemisis. The advice is pretty basic, but its amazing how quick you forget the basics.

- stay on top of my meds. Running around with two kids can make it very easy to forget my meds until it's too late. I will be setting an alarm to remind me for ALL my pills.

- very small, frequent meals. Because I had the week were I felt AMAZING, I got back in the habit of eating whatever I wanted. Now, I try to stick to bland foods and eat just a few bites at a time. For example, it took my 45 minutes to eat 1/2 cup of rice. It's kind of ridiculous, but I kept that rice down!! Yeehaw!

- do not drink and eat at the same time. I have learned the hard way with this one SO many times. The liquid just sloshes around all that food and up it comes.

- drink from a straw, which prevents me from glupping. Small, frequent sips.

- don't stand up too fast. Slowly sit up, stay sitting for a few moments, then stand. If I feel faint, lay right down on the ground, even if it's in the middle of the grocery store.

Through this all, I have been very blessed to have an eternal perpsective. Pregnancy is a GOOD thing....I am going to have another beautiful baby! How exciting! I am working very had to choose optimism. I can't choose whether or not my body is sick, but I can choose how I handle it.

Here we go!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Good luck. I hope all those things will help prevent another stay in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh. You've had a hard go at things lately. I love your positive attitude. Its not easy, but it makes all the difference. I would love to take your kids anytime and cook you a meal or two too. We've got a busy weekend, but I'll call next week and we will arrange something.

    ReplyDelete