Kids

Kids

Friday, March 4, 2016

Forget me not

This past while has been a struggle. I have felt far from The Lord...far from all that centres me. I have missed workouts, eaten off schedule, been run ragged by appointments, sick kids, a birthday party and chores. The few extra moments I did have, I wasted...trying to numb my emotions by surfing the internet. All in all, I have been lost. 

In desperation, I reached out to my sister-in-law, who, too, is in a constant state of running. I asked her 'how do you handle this?! How do you find joy? Peace?' While texting, I literally shouted out 'I hate this!' 

Her response has been nothing short of a miracle.

'Pray. Pray always.'

Oh, how easy it is to forget that! How easy it is to move through life, forgetting that basic principle. While studying the Book of Mormon tonight, I came across this scripture 

'But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto The Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul.'
2 Nephi 32:9

Thank you!! Thank you Lord, for this tender mercy! For this reminder! Thank you for prompting my sweet sister, Megan, to remind me of these truths and then to bless me with re-discovering this scripture. I want my efforts, my performance to be consecrated and to be for the welfare on my soul!

'Read and listen to General Conference talks. One of my favourites is 'Forget me not' by Uchtdorf.'
 
After a particularity difficult and discouraging morning, my life looked bleak. I felt as if I had done too much wrong, that I was too far from redemption. In the depths of these emotions, I heard the words 'Forget me not.' I got out of bed, went to the kitchen and listened to President Uchtdorf's talk while I cleaned.

In the talk, the apostle tells us of 5 things that us women should never forget. The first hit my like a freight train...forcing the air from my lungs and leaving me with streams of tears that could have filled pools.

First, forget not to be patient with yourself.

Why is it that we can be so patient with others, yet so impatient with ourselves? I need to love myself, encourage myself! I need to treat myself the way I treat others - with courtesy, respect, patience, admiration, concern and love. This is something that I must not forget.

'Be grateful.'

A hymn states
'When upon life billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God has done.'

Take a moment, take a minute, take an hour to pour out your heart unto The Lord for all the things you are blessed with. Focus on that, not on the struggles. Attitude is everything.

My heart is overwhelmed with gratitude, with love, respect, admiration, humility and devotion. This is yet another experience that has only deepened my testimony that the Lord is so mindful of his children!!

My Lord, I love thee. I cherish thee and I will devote my life to thee. I believe, O Lord. I believe.


1 comment:

  1. Such good reminders. Thanks. I am enjoying the book of Mormon challenge from the stake. Life is kinda crazy. More so the older my kids get. Prayer is a great reminder. I struggle with morning ones. Forget those sometimes. This was a good help for me.

    ReplyDelete